Timothy’s Top 10 Films of 2013
10. Derek Cianfrance’s The Place Beyond the Pines
It was a hell of a 2013 for Face, who played a cop and an FBI agent and pushed Ryan Gosling out of a window for making fun of Hangover III.
9. Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers
There is something about Korine’s films; the further away you get he more your appreciate them.
8. Jeff Nichols’ Mud
Jeff Nichols creates a hypnotic gyre that has lasted me since April. Hell of a thing, hell of a thing.
7. Matteo Garrone’s Reality
The one movie this year America desperately needed. Made in Naples.
6. James Wan’s The Conjuring
Pure genre, done perfectly.
5. David O. Russell’s American Hustle
Give me David O. Russel and Christian Bale over Marty and Leo any day.
4. Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity
Sandra Bullock learns to pray.
3. David Lowery’s Ain’t Them Bodies Saints
Mallick graduate David Lowery pulls off the impossible; he gets Ben Foster to underact.
2. Denis Villeneuve’s Prisoners
Hugh Jackman punches everyone in the face. Punches the audience in the gut.
1. Shane Carruth’s Upstream Color
Two pigs fall in love after one is pignapped and drugged. There is much framing.